Approximately 200 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, and still thousands of others will develop severe symptoms that require emergency medical attention. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common cause of accidental poisoning-related deaths and due to this fact it is often called “the silent killer.”Those most vulnerable to carbon dioxide poisoning are unborn babies, infants, children and pregnant women.
What can cause carbon monoxide poisoning? Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, yet colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is produced from the incomplete burning of fuels that contain carbon, such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, coal, natural gas or kerosene. Breathing in carbon monoxide fumes decreases the blood’s ability to carry oxygen to our heart and cells. Low levels of oxygen can lead to cell death, including cells in the vital organs such as the brain and heart.It is imperative to have a functioning CO detector in your home to warn you of a poisonous gas leak.If you feel you have been affected by carbon dioxide it is urgent to get medical treatment at once.
if you or a loved one has been the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning call me today or visit me at my offices in either Baltimore or Rockville.